So I have been getting back into the routine of sewing...finally. I burned myself out at Christmas with gift making and general business and then Timothy has been working on his teeth, so I have been laying low. But I managed to make one of these pouches for myself (in green) and worked out the kinks for this lovely pink version! I used the scraps from my new sewing machine cover. It is now filled with goodies and packed for my quilt guild meeting tonight because its destiny is to be the door prize for our meeting tonight. :)
I learned a couple of things from making the first one. First, use 9" zippers like the directions say instead of trying to use the 7" ones you have on hand. It is easier to just cut off those little metal pieces off and not mess with them (and break a needle in the process). Second, when you get to the point of sewing the sides closed, flip the largest liner up and lay it all flat. Sew one continuous line on each side, from folded edge to folded edge, leaving a gap open in the lining on one side so you can flip it.
Flip the whole thing out (don't forget to open the largest pouch zipper first!) through your little hole in the lining and sew it shut. Stuff the liner in and you are done! I saw this hint in the discussions on flickr. It is so great to see lots of collaboration on projects!
A link to the tutorial if you want to make one yourself:
(I don't know what is wrong with the look of the above link, but it works!)