Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Christmas Projects

Most of the sewing lately has been gifts, so there haven't been too many things to write about here.  But, I finally finished a couple of things that I can show!

First up, an apron and chef's hat for my nephew and his soon-to-be play kitchen: 
(before I ironed it, sorry about that)


The hat tutorial is here and the apron tutorial is from my friend Gina, found here.  Both tutorials are really well written and easy to do.  There is an apron pattern with the hat that looks good too, but a little large for the 2.5 year old that is the receiver - it might be the next apron he gets after he outgrows this one in a few years.  I found some fun food-texted fabric at our local B & F and paired it with white muslin and some denim looking bias tape.  While I made this set, I also made a hat and apron for Timothy.  I tried to have him model, but he was so not willing.  Gina, I am looking for your advice here.  :)


I also made us stockings!  I love how I can fill my son's stocking and he has no clue...I am sure this is the last year that I will be able to get away with it. :)  I used this pattern for my outline and these instructions to put my stockings together.  I choose not to post the picture I had taken of the couch residents who where watching Snoopy at the time...my hubby was dealing with a touch of the flu...not pretty.


I did a quick loopy quilting all over to give them some texture and am really happy with how they turned out.  I used some cream heavy duty fabric that I had originally bought to make some bags with, so they are quite sturdy.  I have no clue what kind of fabric it is, other than not 100% cotton, because I actually melted a piece with my iron while trying to press out a crease.  oops.  :)

The only issue I have is that I completely forgot to insert a hanging loop in while putting them together. FAIL.  :)  So for right now, until I figure out what to do, a safety pin is being used...let me know if you have any good ideas to add a loop after the fact.


Linking up!




4 comments:

  1. i'm so glad you found the tutorial easy to follow; i am terrible at writing instructions! your apron is super cute--i should make one for abram! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same thing with Adeline's stocking and had to add the loop after. I just took a length of ric rac and sewed it along the inside seam. Since the stocking has a folded-over top (as yours appear to in the photos) you can't see the stitches on the outside. Don't know if that makes any sense without visuals -- I could send you a picture if you'd like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! I understand what you described and it will work! The top is folded over, so it would hide the stitches on the outside. :) I knew someone would have an answer for me. Thanks again!

      Delete